Thursday, October 4, 2012

Identity

Our very own mentor mom, Meredith Burney, spoke today about identity. She relayed her story about having multiple identities all her life: an athlete, a minority, a coach, an author, a wife, a mother, and how when when turned 40 years old she found herself questioning her identity for the first time. What she perceived as her identity was diverging from the path her life was actually on.



I personally related to the part when she spoke about how those in the traditional work force-hubbies-feel stress and pressure just like us but they also receive feedback and validation for their efforts. We don't even get a paycheck! That hit home for me because some days I feel like I work so hard and no one cares. My kids don't care that I got 6 loads of laundry done. My hubby doesn't even know that I actually cleaned the kitchen 3 times-because its a mess again by the time he gets home. I think every mother needs something outside of mothering that provides opportunities for "successes". Running, owning a small business, anything that requires making and (hopefully) achieving measurable goals.

What a conflict this is for mothers! Thank you for sharing your story with us, Meredith. If YOU feel like adding any of your own experiences or comments about today's topic please don't hesitate to leave us a comment here on the blog.



The buffet was amazing this morning ladies! So was the care and share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment